Our Main Services
Printability Tests on Industrial Presses
You want to validate and optimize the quality of ink deposits or coatings with an industrial printing process or to validate the performance of your paper or plastic substrates on a press? The ICI can help you thanks to its complete fleet of industrial printing equipment.
During each test, the ICI will help you with the design and layout of a customized test form that meets your needs and the prerequisites of the printing process that was chosen.
Here are the key features of our press testing services:
- Possible in offset, flexography, rotogravure, flat-bed or rotary screen, or a combination of printing processes (flexography, rotogravure and rotary screen) on a multi-process press.
- Performed under controlled conditions to give reproducible results that are relevant to the graphics industry.
- Tests on various substrates (paper, cardboard, plastic, multi-layer film), inks and coatings (conventional or functional) or other consumables and printing devices (dampening solution, plates, etc.).
- Relevant comments documented in a report and sample collection during the tests (linting, deposits in printing units, etc.).
- Many types of analyses available for printed copies (densitometric measurement, print mottle, etc.).
For more than 20 years, paper manufacturers—or suppliers of chemical products for the paper industry—have been working with the ICI to test the print quality of new papers or additives they develop for rotary offset printing. Whether to test the addition of new component in a paper layer or the optimization of the fiber quality, the tests are performed on the M110 offset press under constant and reproducible printing conditions. These tests provide customers with essential information to assess the impact of their additions on the quality of printed copies as well as the printability and machinability of the papers.
The players in the paper industry also benefit from the multidisciplinarity of the ICI’s team and the Varyflex hybrid rotary press to test the printability of papers (flexography and rotogravure).
Our experienced team enjoys working with industry to confront your challenges and help you grow by solving on-press problems, increasing your efficiency, improving your work environment, and choosing the best printing technique for your market!
Our experts include specialists in processes and consumables and are thus able to work directly at your production site. These interventions may be completed by an in-depth analysis of your samples at the ICI’s facilities to give you a complete evaluation and a solution that meets your needs.
The support that the ICI offers to industry includes:
- Trouble shooting problems that influence quality and efficiency, or supporting new product development through laboratory sample characterization (printability via lab proofing, durability testing, etc.);
- Overseeing in-house on-press tests to trouble shoot or to develop new products;
- Making analyses and recommendations to improve work methods and increase your operational efficiency;
- Supporting you in introducing new colour management techniques;
- Performing technical surveys to recommend new equipment or printing materials based on your constraints and your market;
- Writing independent expert reports.
For more information, visit the page on our specialized equipment.
Here are examples of typical mandates that we can carry out for a flexographer.
After a first meeting with the management team to define the needs and the recurring problems of quality and/or productivity, the ICI’s team uses an observation period to identify the problems and come up with recommendations to solve them. These recommendations can cover many problems seen during manufacturing, such as the lack of technical training, the management of the anilox, the management of inks—including the reuse of inks in stock—, the use and management of plates, as well as the choice of sticky back and other consumables.
Furthermore, we can help you increase productivity by working on the work flow and task organization, to optimize set up and manufacturing time.
In terms of quality control, we can help the company in setting up spectrophotometry for spot colour quality and improving the colour management in densitometry, which has a positive impact on the quality of printed products.
Did you know...
Did you know that the ICI is part of the index of experts recognized by the Fonds Écoleader? With Ecoleader, you can finance the services that will help you choose a technology or consumables that are more environmentally friendly. For more information, please go to our Financement page or go to the Fond Ecoleader website.
Take advantage of our services! They can be admissible for :
- The Technical Support Tax Credit
- Subsidized hours by the Interactive Visits Program of NRC IRAP